News
Poland Condemns Israel Decision To Drop Probe Into Gaza Strike That Killed Polish Aid Worker
Poland has condemned Israel’s decision to discontinue its investigation into a 2024 Gaza strike that killed Polish aid worker Damian Sobol.
Poland’s Foreign Ministry said it was “very disappointed” after receiving information on August 19, 2026, that the investigation into the attack had been discontinued. The ministry also summoned Israel’s ambassador in Warsaw to express its concern over the decision.
Sobol, a volunteer from Przemysl in southeastern Poland, was among seven World Central Kitchen workers killed when an Israeli airstrike struck their convoy in central Gaza in April 2024.
The attack sparked international condemnation and renewed scrutiny of Israel’s military operations in Gaza.
During the meeting with Israel’s ambassador, Poland’s Foreign Ministry expressed its criticism of the steps taken to establish the circumstances surrounding the deaths.
The ministry also informed the ambassador that a separate investigation into the incident is being conducted by the District Prosecutor’s Office in Przemysl.
Warsaw said it expects Israel to provide Polish investigators with the explanations and materials requested as part of their inquiry.
Poland’s Deputy Foreign Minister Ignacy Niemczycki described Israel’s decision as surprising, saying Warsaw expects accountability when force is used improperly.
“We expect the circumstances surrounding the use of force to be fully explained and believe that any unjustified action must be properly addressed,” Niemczycki told Polish public radio PR1 on Friday.
Australia also summoned Israel’s ambassador in Canberra after Australian aid worker Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom was killed in the same strike.
The April 2024 attack killed all seven World Central Kitchen workers, prompting widespread international criticism. Israel’s military previously acknowledged serious errors and failures in its handling of the incident.
Israel’s military says its operations in Gaza target Hamas militants and has said it investigates some incidents involving civilian deaths.
The decision to discontinue the investigation has added to diplomatic tensions between Poland and Israel, while Polish authorities continue their own inquiry into Sobol’s death.
Related











